Monday, July 27, 2009

English Conversation - Art Exhibition

Art Exhibition

Art Exhibition

It had been announced that 62 French paintings were to be exhibited at the national gallery of art Hansa and Reena decided to go to see art Exhibition.

Hansa Reena, are you going to see the art exhibition of French paintings at national gallery of art?

Reena Yes. I guess we ought to go to national gallery of art. It is supposed to be one of the best cultural events of the season

Hansa And these are the original painting. I under stand, except for a similar art exhibition in Japan, this art exhibition has never been held anywhere else in Asia.

Reena So I hear. Let’s go together, shall we? When does it open ? The Art exhibition I mean.

Hansa There are still another couple of hours to go. We will enjoy these paintings of famous artists.

Reena I wonder which art works are being exhibited. I do hope that there are number of impressionists like Monet, Van Gogh, Cezanne and Gauguin.

impressionists

 Monet, Van Gogh, Cezanne and Gauguin.
Monet, Van Gogh, Cezanne and Gauguin.

Hansa Some people are crazy about famous artists like Modigliani, Picasso . I must say that I don’t understand modern artists, do you Reena?

Reena I suppose I don’t always understand what a modern art painting is supposed to depict. But I do, at times appreciate the geometric shapes and color and shapes put together. I do appreciate drawing portraits.

national gallery of art

 -artists like Modigliani, Picasso
-artists like Modigliani, Picasso

Hansa I was told that art is supposed to be the artist’s vision of the world and the objects he sees. So, if there are distortions in the proportions of the figures paintings , that is meant to show how the artist sees these people and objects. I am interested in painting landscape

Reena All art is a projection and outpouring of the artist’s inner feelings, but, I think modern art has tended to become a sort of gimmick as well. Painting is now said to be a method of “breaking space” in a novel and interesting manner.

painting landscape

Hansa What is the meaning of breaking space?

Reena There is a space; it might be a huge well, a big canvas or smaller one. The artist has to fill up that blankness with some combination of colours and shapes. He might like to make a geometric arrangement of nails on the board or just paint one black dot on a white background or make anything which he thinks is artistic and different according to him.

Hansa Have you been to see the Indian paintings on permanent exhibition at the National Gallery of Art?

breaking space

Reena Yes I have. They have been arranged very well. The Rajput and kangra minitures are in different sections and the Indian paintings are in different rooms. In fact, separate rooms are available to each Indian artist.

Hansa Which is your favourtie Indian artist?

Reena I am very impressed with the work of Amrita Shergil.

Hansa Indian painting has begun to get recognition only recently, after independence. The colonial rulers tended to denigrate and ignore all kind of art of India. And creative activity was at a stand – still.

Reena Most of Indian artist, in every field, heavily imitated the British with the result that little greatness was achieved.

Hansa Will there be guides to explain the paintings of the French masters at the forthcoming art exhibition?

gallery paintings

Reena I heard that at art exxhibition there will be what is known as “lec-tours” These are lec-tours. Every view carries a small radio receiver and earphones. As the viewer goes around the gallery. Voices on the receiver playback pre-recorded tapes explaining about the artist and his work.

Hansa This must be a new feature they’ve introduced. I believe the whole introduced. I believe the whole National Gallery of Art is being air conditioned too, so that there is no deterioration in the paintings.

Reena I would like to see the art exhibition more than once. The first time with a guide or with a “lec-tour” and then I’d like to see the art paintings at leisure and study each one minutely to understand what marvels the artists have created.

Hansa I’ll come along too. I hope there won’t be too much of a rush at art exhibition. One would want to enjoy beautiful creations unhurriedly and without being jostled.

artists gallery

44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

No comments:

Post a Comment