Thursday, September 3, 2009

English conversation-Lift to Supermarket

Lift to supermarket

Reena after drop off at the Regal bus stop wanted a lift to supermarket. She is waiting for bus to supermarket & stops a passing car and hitch a lift to her place of work.

Reena (Thumbing down a car). Excuse me Sir,
Which direction are you going?

Car driver:Why? What do you want?

Reena I was wondering Sir, Whether you could. Very
kindly give me a lift?


Car driver: where do you want to go?

Reena: I want to go to supermarket.


hitching a lift to supermarket


Car driver:I am not going in that direction of supermarket, nor do I have the time to go out of my way to drop you.

Reena That’s all right then, sorry to have bothered you

Car driver:(Driving off and muttering under his breath). These girls these days! They just stop anyone hitching lift! Bhu! What cheek!

Reena (Stopping the next car). Excuse me sir, would you be going towards the super Market?

Car driver:Yes, that is on my way. Do you want a lift?

Reena Yes, thank you very much Sir.I am going for shopping at supermarket.

Car driver: Get in the car . The door is unlocked.

Reena (Getting into the car). It is very kind of you to give me a lift. Just drop me at the turning to the Super Market please.

Get in the car

Car driver:Do you always hitch a ride to get to any work?

Reena Yes I do hitch a ride quite often. You see the bus express, I take doesn’t take me, close enough to my place of work or supermarket.

Car driver:I can see that you have problem. Isn’t there another bus to which could drop you within walking distance of your place of work?

Reena Yes, I guess there is a bus to connaught place which goes a bit further than the bus I took today. But that bus comes very infrequently. So I find it easier and quicker to come by bus to Regal and then to take a lift to the Super Market.

Car driver:you’ve got to be very careful these days. It is very unwise to sit in a car with a stranger. How do you know that this unknown person may not kidnap you?

Reena I suppose you are right. There is some risk involved in thumbing a lift. But normally, I only stop the car with respectable elderly looking gentleman.

Car driver:Why don’t you make it a point to stop only women driver or cars which have women occupants?

Reena There is a difficulty in that. At this time there are very few women riding in cars. Another thing is that women drivers hardly ever stop to give lifts.

Car driver:How about the boys? Do they find it easier to hitch-hike? It is safer for them anyway.

Reena It’s the same for girls and boys. People tend to feel sorrier for a girl and are likelier to stop for a girl than for a boy. In experience, I’ve noticed that people give lift to two girls or two boys or a boy and a girl, that is, to two person at a time few people will seat four or five people in their cars.

Car driver:Well, here we are. This is the Super Market.

Reena Thank-you very much Sir.

Car driver:That’s all right. But do be careful about asking for lifts, will you?

Reena Yes Sir, I’ll do that. I’ll be cautious in future.

36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 36 v36 36 36

No comments:

Post a Comment